Recipe: Redhead “Steak” Sandwich
In the tradition of the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich, this recipe is a quicky that’ll fool some of your friends who claim that they don’t like the taste of duck. The meat is sliced very thin, so be careful when cooking. It only tastes a minute or two to cook the duck!
3 cups redhead duck skinless breast fillets
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
8 slices provolone cheese
4 Italian rolls, split
1. Slice ducks breasts as thinly as possible. If possible, place in the freezer for an hour or so to firm up meat before slicing. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add onions, pepper and garlic. Cook until onions are lightly browned. Add mushrooms and sauté with onions and peppers until soft.
3. Move vegetables over to one side of the skillet and add duck breast. Cook meat until lightly brown, but not overcooked. Season with a dash or two of Tabasco.
4. Mound meat into 4 rectangular piles, about the size of the Italian rolls. Top with equal portions of the vegetable mixture. Top with 2 slices of cheese for each mound until cheese melts.
5. Using two spatulas, scoop up each portion of meat and vegetables and place in Italian rolls.
Photo: The Sporting Chef